Those facilitating Rao Anwar will have to answer before the apex court: CJP

Those facilitating Rao Anwar will have to answer before the apex court: CJP

- in Home

The Supreme Court said on Monday that absconding police officer Rao Anwar "still" has a chance to surrender himself and become part of the investigation into the alleged extrajudicial killing of Naqeebullah Mehsud.

Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, who was heading a three-member bench hearing the suo motu case of Mehsud’s murder at the Islamabad registry, said the court will make efforts to find out who has been facilitating Anwar remain in hiding.

"The facilitators of Rao Anwar will have to answer before the Supreme Court," the CJP said, adding that Anwar will be safe if he appears before the court but he will not get protection anywhere else.

State Bank of Pakistan Governor Tariq Bajwa informed the bench that Anwar, the former SSP Malir, possessed two banks accounts, both of which have been frozen.

Anwar's receives his salary in the same accounts but will be unable to withdraw it, Bajwa informed the bench.

Meanwhile, Sindh Inspector General (IG) A.D. Khowaja will brief the apex court about Anwar's arrest in an in-camera briefing at 1:30pm today. At the last hearing of the case on Friday, the court had given the Sindh police chief two more days to arrest Anwar.

The court has directed the director general of Airport Security Force (ASF) to appear in person before the court along with relevant record at the same time.

The bench has also asked the Civil Aviation Authority to explain on whose instruction Anwar was issued a boarding pass of Emirates Airline when he made a failed attempt to fly out of the country in January.

'Staged encounter'

Former SP Anwar, whose immediate removal had been recommended by a three-member committee constituted by IG Khowaja “to ensure fair and transparent inquiry of the incident and investigation of the case”, had expressed his fears of biased investigation and went into hiding. There has been no major clue to his whereabouts since then despite repeated orders issued by the court for his arrest.

IG Khowaja had told the media last week that there was no evidence that Anwar had fled the country.

The court has so far received two letters from Anwar — first requesting a free and fair joint investigation team and the second asking court to unfreeze his accounts. The veracity of the letters has yet to be ascertained.

Besides Anwar, 24 other police officials have been booked for allegedly abducting 27-year-old Mehsud for ransom and killing him along with three other detainees over non-payment of ransom in a ‘staged encounter’ on January 13 in Karachi's Shah Latif Town.

When questioned initially, Anwar had claimed that Mehsud was a Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militant. However, the three-member probe team in its report concluded that the South Waziristan native's murder was extrajudicial and that the victim had no links to the terrorist organisation.

Source: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *